Thursday, October 27, 2011

Imagineering "The FACE" Make-Up Kits

Was it a mask, or was it a make-up kit? The box claimed make-up kit, but I always thought of it more like a mask when I was younger. While I don't know the answer to the question,  I do know that I loved my Skull FACE kit like crazy as a kid.
Although it was released in 1979, I personally didn't get one until the Halloween of 1984 for my grim-reaper costume. I remember having great difficulty getting the paint to stick to the FACE. Looking back, the issue makes perfect sense to me now. The "paint" was actually grease paint, and the appliance was a non-porous foam. Why on earth these kits were packaged with make-up that would never stick to the FACE,  I have no idea. But, back then, I didn't care. The paint didn't work, and I had to load on half a bottle of spirit gum to actually stick the sucker to my own face. But I loved the thing. It was great! As a kid, it gave you the feeling that you were a hardcore make-up guy.


So regardless of whether you'd consider this a mask or not, here's the scoop... The FACE make-kit series was designed by Hollywood make-up artist Barry R. Koper, and was released in 1979 by Imagineering. I suppose it was quite ground breaking at the time for an affordable full-face appliance to be released mass-market (I got mine at Toys 'R Us). The appliance was coined and trademarked as FLEX-O-SKIN, and each kit contained one, along with a clear plastic vacuform shell to help it retain it's shape. The kit also contained a small plastic palette of grease paint containing various colors, a small brush, and "sticky goop" to attach the FACE to your face. 6 different characters formed the series, with an additional 2 characters being added later.

Image Source: http://plaidstallions.blogspot.com/
Image Source: http://plaidstallions.blogspot.com/
Imagineering FACE Make-Up Kit Ad

9 comments:

  1. Holy mackerel, did these photos of the completed make-ups bring back some memories!! I never had one of these sets, but I had the Dick Smith "Monster Make-up Kit." These always looked intriguing to me though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Have three or four of "the Face" kits, and continue to use them.

    I wish they were available now!

    A mask you can use, allow you to see, eat, drink(most important) yet conceals who you really are!
    Especially works great if you have facial hair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheshirecat666/3940767229/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the Ape and Ghoul faces and made a plaster mold from the Ape face and still use it to this day. Wish I had saved the Ghoul one as it hada Chaney Phantom look to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had one of the reaper and Im an artest I was looking for one this year I wish I could find one. The skull was much better than what we see today and they were a lot less expensive. I even wore it to an Ozzie concert and I swear I freaked Ozzie out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I was infatuated with the skull mask as a kid back in the 80s. I went trick or treating as the grim reaper at least twice with it. Seeing the photos of the packaging just brought memories flooding back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have my original Skull face and Monster face masks and continue to use them. They have held up amazing well. My sister painted the Skull face using acrylics and it looks fantastic. I wish I could get another one of these kits to use. I use toupee tape to stick them to my face these days but still have some of the original tape that came with them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woah! I was trying to recall the brand of these kits earlier today, and stumbled upon this post. Thanks for writing about "The Face" makeup kits! I had the Space Face kit in around 1983 - 1984ish. I definitely remember the grease paint not sticking very well to the mask itself. It was supposed to be this weird greenish/ochre color. In the end I used some other permanent paints to finish off the mask. It was a messy job, but made the space face mask look extra freaky. The paint smelled weird, and by the end of Halloween night circa 1984 my hands and most of my costume had grease paint and other shit all over it. Hahaha...such great memories. The Face kit was a great idea, as it allowed me to eat more candy as the night rolled on. Very cool. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember as a young boy of 7 years (1970) Imagineering had masks you could build as advertised in Boy's Life mag. They weren't wearable and they were very stylized. Any photos or info on that? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete