Monday, February 18, 2013

Mighty Men and Monster Maker

The Mighty Men and Monster Maker was one of my favorite toys growing up. For some reason it found it's permanent home at my Grandmother's house. Fortunately, we visited my Grandma's house several times a week, so it got a lot of use. I would burn through paper on the contraption pouring countless hours into creating a variety of monstrous combinations.

And while I loved the toy, I was always fascinated by the blue-ish grey monster hands that adorned the box. It wasn't until last year, when visiting a friend's home and looking at his still boxed monster maker, that I learned that the hands were actually produced by Don Post Studios.


Here's another look at the monster hands along with a shot of the sculpture...


And just for a good laugh, here's the original commercial for the Tomy Mighty Men and Monster Maker (no sign of the hands here though)...

7 comments:

  1. Great commercial, and game. Never had that one, but I bet it was fun. I might use it now to kill time at work...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had one of these when I was a kid, and LOVED it! (I wonder what happened to it . . . think I might have to check eBay and see if I can find one now!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. and the artwork is by none other than Dave Stevens -- of The Rocketeer fame! Great, great toy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've still got mine. I even spent some time on one of my blogs doing fan art for it. dig it http://championshipleagueofchampions.blogspot.ca/search/label/Mighty%20men%20and%20monster%20maker

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to have this, AND it also resided at my grandparent's house! I would often make elaborate backgrounds for the monsters. Of course, like most things from my childhood, it is looooooong gone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are some awesome illustrations Andrew, thanks for the link!!

    ReplyDelete